55º INTERNATIONAL PIANO COMPETITION PRIZE "JAÉN" 2013
The “Jaén” International Piano Contest was born in 1953. It has its roots in the old and extinted “Club Alpino”, a cultural-sporting society, which one organized the competition during 1953 and 1954.
The “Jaén” International Piano Contest is considered one of the best representatives of the cultural atmosphere of Jaén because of its prestige and its trajectory. This competition, organized by the County Council of Jaén is one of the oldest competitions in the field of music, which has been won by players of 20 different countries in its 54 editions, confirming its international impact.
May by young piano players, every single one of them under the age of 32, who must play works from important composers and who must pass three qualifying rounds to go through to the final.
The Prize has since 1993 a mandatory work written by a Spanish composer just for it, work that is paid by the “Centro de Difusión de la Música Contemporánea” from the Culture Ministry and which, since 1997, is edited and distributed by the County Council “Diputación Provincial”.
Endorsed by awards like the Medal of Honour of the Royal Academy of Arts of Granada or the Manuel de Falla Award, given by the Regional Government of Andalucía, the reputation of this contest is also reflected in the amount of its awards. There are six awards: the first, second and third award, the “Rosa Sabater” award to the best Spanish music interpretation and the “Contemporary Music” award and the "Audience Award".
1. The Competition is open to pianists of any nationality, born after the 4 of April 1981, with the exception of those who have received the Prize “Jaén” previously. The organisers of the contest have the right to select candidates on the basis of their "curriculum vitae” and by a recent audiovisual recording of thirty minutes with works presented at the Competition. The participants are exempt to send this recording, if they participated in one of the last five editions of our competition, or won some prize in a competition, which is member of the World Federation of International Music Competition (FMCIM / WFIMC), this prize must be accredited. The recording must be sent by post or by a website link include the audiovisual recording from the participant with works presented at the Competition. Also if necessary we shall request an introductory letter from a distinguished professor. The accommodation and breakfast expenses in double room for all the participants, during his participation in the competition, will be at charges of the Organisation. Those participant, they prefer a single room; have to arrange and pay the accommodation in our city on his own.
2. Applications may be submitted from the November 21, 2012, publication date of this announcement in the BOP of Jaén (Boletín Oficial de la Provincia) and in the Jaén County Council’s notice board, until the February 25, 2013, inclusive. From 4 of March, 2013, the Organisation will inform the candidates about his definitely acceptance in the Competition. The official application forms are to be sent by post to the President del Concurso Internacional de Piano Premio "Jaén”, Diputación Provincial de Jaén, Plaza de San Francisco s/n, 23071 Jaén (Spain) or by our website (www.dipujaen.es/premiopiano). The established enrolment fee of 50 euros, have to be paid together with the application to the following account: IBAN: ES90 2103 1210 59 1101000228, SWIFT BIC CODE: UCJAES2M, de Unicaja (Oficina Principal, c/Cronista Cazabán, s/n, 23001 Jaén).
The draw of lots take place on April 4, 2013, at 19.00 hours in the Edificio del Antiguo Hospital de San Juan de Dios (located in the Plaza de San Juan de Dios, s/n. Jaén). All contestants must be present at this drawing of lots, in the order to determine the order of performances. Any absence have been justified and accepted by the jury, at previous request of the participant.
At this time, the location and schedule of the various performances will be indicated.
3. The Competition consists of three eliminatory performances, and the final performance with orchestra, respected the order of the annexed program. After each of which the Jury will announce its judgement, thus allocating the participants qualified to take part in the next performance, or in case the prize-winners.
FIRST ELIMINATORY PERFORMANCE. - All the participants shall interpret the works included in Group A, without exceeding a twenty-minute time limit.
SECOND ELIMINATORY PERFORMANCE. - Once the candidates have successfully passed the first elimination, they are obliged to play one piece from Group B, another one from Group C to decide the Spanish music Prize, and the obligatory work (commissioned by the CNDM), without exceeding a fifty-minute time limit.
THIRD ELIMINATORY PERFORMANCE. - All participants who qualify, shall play one piece from Group D, another from Group E and another from Group F, all freely chosen by themselves, without exceeding a sixty-minute time limit.
FINAL PERFORMANCE WITH ORCHESTRA. - All the candidates, who qualify for the final, shall play a concerto from Group G for piano and orchestra.
4. All works must be played from memory, with the exception of the score of the obligatory work.
5. Before taking part in the Competition, the participants must present an official document (National Identity Card, Passport or similar document) proving their identity.
6. The Competition will be held between 5 and 12 April, 2013. On April 12 will be publicly announced the decision of Jury, and the prizes (as well as a certificate confirming the prizes) will be presented.
7. The Jury will be appoint between important persons with a prestigious artistic career and merit in the international piano world. Those names will be publish in the BOP of Jaén (Boletín Oficial de la Provincia) at least two weeks before Competition. The decision of the Jury will be final and irrevocable, and will be ratify by the competent department of the County Council of Jaén (Diputación Provincial de Jaén) in the order to award the prizes.
To award the different prizes the jury will take his decision based on the quality and aptitude of candidates, appropriate to award this activity, the purpose specific of this competition.
8. The awards, where applicable subject to legally established deductions, shall be as follows:
- Sponsored by the County Council of Jaén:
Gold Medal, Diploma, a Compact Disc recording with
the record label Naxos, which one could be record
during the competition, and 20.000 Euros
- A concert in Jaén sponsored by the “Real Sociedad
Económica de Amigos del País”.
- A concert celebrate the day after final-stage
with the Orquestra Ciudad de Granada.
- A concert in Boston, sponsored by the Tsai Performing
Arts Center at Boston University (USA).
SECOND PRIZE, sponsored by the Andalusian Government
(Junta de Andalucía),Diploma and 9.000 Euros
THIRD PRIZE, sponsored by the savings bank Unicaja,
Diploma and 6.000 Euros
“ROSA SABATER” PRIZE, sponsored by the Mayor of
Jaén for the best interpreter of Spanish music, include in
the Group C. Diploma, and a concert which one take
place in Jaén sponsored by the “Real Sociedad Económica
de Amigos del País”, and 6.000 Euros
“CONTEMPORARY MUSIC” PRIZE, sponsored by the
Culture Ministry of the Spanish Government goes to the best
interpreter of the compulsory work, Diploma, and 6.000 Euros
“AUDIENCE PRIZE”, by audience voting during the final performance.
Bronze Sculpture, without prize money.
The prize spending sponsored by the County Council of Jaen (Diputación Provincial de Jaén) it’s included in the budget 2013.610.334.489.19, named PRIZES INTERNATIONAL PIANO COMPETITION PRIZE “JAÉN”.
To justify the prize money awarded by the County Council, the prize-winner must sign a document, which one enclosed the following information: personal details of the winner, the prize money and the legally established deductions for tax purposes.
9. The winners of the first prize, the “Rosa Sabater” Prize and the “Contemporary Music” Prize shall give a short concert at the awards ceremony, performing works of his/her choice, besides the awarded works.
10. Each participant who successfully passes the first eliminatory test andparticipate in the second eliminatory round will be granted a travelling allowance of 300 Euros. This amount will be raised to 400 Euros if the participant in question also passes the second eliminatory test, participate in the third eliminatory round but does not obtain any prize. This travelling allowance spending is included in the budget 2013.610.334.22611.
11. The Organisation could propose during the Competition some recitals in different places in the Province of Jaén for those participants who were eliminate of Competition but showed,based on the judgment of jury, a special artistic level. As well as the winner of competition and/or the winner of the different prizes will take part during this or the next year, in some of the most important music festivals in the Province of Jaén.
Any competitors who are eliminated in the competition, but wish to stay till the final have the possibility to get Master classes with someone of the judge. The Master classes will be arranged by the organisation and the accommodation goes on charge of the participant.
12. At the proposal of Jury, the Organisation could agree granting of travelling allowance of maximum 350 euros for participants of this edition, in the order to facilitate them the participation in the next International Piano Competition Prize “Jaén”. The candidates in question get this grant once they participate, at least, in the first round of the next Competition. This travelling allowance costs are included in the budget 2013.610.334.22611.
13. The 55º International Piano Competition Prize "Jaén" 2013, reserves the reproduction rights by radio, video and television broadcast from the different eliminatory tests. Also rights reserved for a Compact Disc recording. Therefore, the Organization will be able to commercialize and transfer the above-mentioned rights freely, exclusively and with no limitation in favour of any person or firm. This transfer of rights is agreed gratuitously.
14. Compatibility or incompatibility with other subventions, grants, deposits or resources.
According to the article 33.39 of the budget of County Council of Jaén for 2012, the prizes they will be award on charges of the competition 2013, are compatible with other subventions, grants, deposits or resources from any administration, public or private corporation, national, from the European Union or from international corporation, which one could be grant the beneficiary after the prize award.
Jaén, November 2012